It’s the Year of CSA!
Wisconsin is at the forefront of Organic Agriculture and a pioneer in the national CSA movement. 2012 marks the 20th anniversary of the CSA Open House, a cornerstone event that brings together farmers and community members to share information, make lasting connections, and encourage direct purchase of fresh food from local farms. To mark this historic milestone, the Madison Area CSA Coalition, in partnership with CSA farmers, restaurants, university and organizational allies throughout the state, is sponsoring a year of special events. Join us as we continue to build this thriving movement and position our community for the next 20 years of health, community and local economies centered on food and farms.
Calendar of Events
CSA Open House * March 18th, 1-4PM | Monona Terrace | 1 John Nolen Dr, Madison
Come one, come all to this FREE, community event featuring CSA farmers, kids activities, entertainment, workshops, Partner Shares benefit raffle and MORE! Join us as we unveil our new name & logo and ring in the “Year of CSA”
Plough & Barrel CSA Dinner Series * April 30, June 4th, August 6th, & October 1st, 6PM | The Coopers Tavern | 20 W. Mifflin St, Madison
Seasonal specialty dinners featuring local farmers and brewers. Join us to taste the seasons, meet our farmer & brewer rock stars and enjoy the company of good community.
Tickets available for purchase HERE or at The Coopers Tavern. $40/ticket
- April 30: Dreamfarm, Coulee View Family Farm, Christensen’s Farms and New Glarus Brewery
- June 4: Equinox Community Farm, Blue Moon Community and Potosi Brewery
- August 6: Troy Community Farm, Primrose Community Farm and House of Brews
- October 1: Vermont Valley Community Farm LLC, Harmony Valley Farm and Lake Louie Brewery
CSA Speaker Series * May 2, June 20, October 10, November 14, 6:30PM | Various Locations- FREE
Join us throughout the year to engage with leaders in our wider community as they address the health, environmental, community and economic aspects of Community Supported Agriculture and the local food movement.
- May 2: F.A.R.M. Food, Art, Revolution, Media: Changing the Way We Eat by Changing the Way we Think about Food, Agriculture, and Health. Melinda Hemmelgarn@ UW Soils Building room 270, 1525 Observatory Drive, Madison
- June 20: Community Connections through Agriculture in the Oneida Nation- Goodman Community Center
- October 10: Preserving genetic diversity and cultural history in our food supply – Goodman Community Center
- November 14: Local Food as a Strategy for Economic Recovery – UW Soils Building room 270, 1525 Observatory Drive, Madison
CSA Pioneers Dinner *May 6, 6PM | Graze Pub | 1 S. Pinckney St, Madison
A four course dinner in celebration of our rich history of Community Supported Agriculture in Wisconsin. Join veteran growers, long time farm members and other pioneers of the CSA movement to reflect on the successes of the past 20 years and look forward to a hopeful future of farm and community vitality.
Tickets $50, call 608-251-2700 for reservations.
CSA at the Madison Mallards! * Tuesday, July 17th 7:05 | Madison Mallards Ballpark, 2020 N. Sherman Ave. Madison
Come on out to celebrate sustainability night by watching baseball with your farmers and fellow local food advocates! $2 from each ticket sold through our ticket portal benefits FairShare CSA Coalition ! To purchase tickets, visit the special portal HERE, at the group portal login enter “fairshare” and purchase tickets for the whole neighborhood! (clic “buy” at the bottom of the page and select your seats, green seats are available). Spread the word!
CSA Barn Party * August 18, 4PM | Sh*tty Barn | Spring Green, WI
Come on out to the infamous Sh*tty Barn in Spring Green to hear a super line up of live bands (Evan Murdoch, Trapper Schoepp & the Shades and Jonathan Burks), taste the fresh flavors of Ian’s “Slice of CSA seasonal specialty pizza” and support the good work of the CSA Coalition. For information and to purchase tickets click HERE. $15/ticket
Bike the Barns * September 16
Join us for our annual bike ride visiting farms and supporting the Partner Shares Program. Ride route, registration, and other event details available HERE.