Livestock & Pasture
|Table of Contents|
ATTRA Resources on Rotation Grazing
The ever-useful ATTRA website provides a wide variety of resources of livestock management. This page discusses rotational grazing and provides links to other ATTRA livestock publications on multi-species grazing, pasture management, organic transition, and nutrient cycling.
Forage Resources – University of Wisconsin Extension
An older, but information-rich website on topics including pasture management, water systems, fencing, animal health, and weed control.
Grass-Based Dairy Studies
Several studies conducted by Wisconsin Integrated Cropping Systems Management researchers with Altfrid and Sue Krusenbaum to evaluate their seasonal, grass-based dairy operation, including pasture productivity, profitability and rotational grazing.
University of Vermont Rotational Grazing Project
The use of well-managed pasture (i.e. rotational grazing) has the potential to increase the financial viability of small- and medium-sized farms by reducing fixed and operating costs of production. There is a lot of information available from the University of Vermont.
Energy Conservation for Livestock and Poultry Production Webinar
This SARE webinar covers ideas to reduce energy (and costs) while keeping animal well-being in mind.
FairShare farmers write fact sheets for other farmers about a variety of topics, including livestock. The PDFs of the fact sheets are available on the FairShare website here.
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Dairy Goats. Jerry Belanger. 2001
- Small Scale Livestock Farming. Carol Ekarius. 1999
- Chicken Tractor. Andy Lee and Pat Foreman. 1999
- Day Range Poultry. Andy Lee and Pat Foreman. 2002
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens. Gail Damerow. 1995
- Pastured Poultry Profits. Joel Salatin. 1999
- Salad Bar Beef. Joel Salatin. 1996
- Pasture Perfect: The Far‐Reaching Benefits of Choosing Meat, Eggs, and Dairy Products from Grass-Fed Animals.
- Jo Robinson. 2004
- Raising the Homestead Hog. Jerome Belanger. 1977
- Natural Beekeeping. Ross Conrad. 2007
- Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis. Rowan Jacobsen. 2009
- The Forgotten Pollinators. Stephen Buckmann and Gary Nabhan. 1997
- The Flower Farmer. Lynn Byczynski. 1997