Livestock & Pasture
|Table of Contents|
ATTRA Resources on Rotation Grazing
The ever-useful ATTRA website provides a wide variety of resources of livestock management. This page discusses rotational grazing and provides links to other ATTRA livestock publications on multi-species grazing, pasture management, organic transition, and nutrient cycling.
Forage Resources – University of Wisconsin Extension
An older, but information-rich website on topics including pasture management, water systems, fencing, animal health, and weed control.
Grass-Based Dairy Studies
Several studies conducted by Wisconsin Integrated Cropping Systems Management researchers with Altfrid and Sue Krusenbaum to evaluate their seasonal, grass-based dairy operation, including pasture productivity, profitability and rotational grazing.
University of Vermont Rotational Grazing Project
The use of well-managed pasture (i.e. rotational grazing) has the potential to increase the financial viability of small- and medium-sized farms by reducing fixed and operating costs of production. There is a lot of information available from the University of Vermont.
Livestock Management Studies – Organic Farming Research Foundation
High-quality research studies over the past 15 years on various aspects of livestock management. As academic studies, they are typically focused on a fairly narrow subject, but important ones.
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Dairy Goats. Jerry Belanger. 2001
- Small Scale Livestock Farming. Carol Ekarius. 1999
- Chicken Tractor. Andy Lee and Pat Foreman. 1999
- Day Range Poultry. Andy Lee and Pat Foreman. 2002
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens. Gail Damerow. 1995
- Pastured Poultry Profits. Joel Salatin. 1999
- Salad Bar Beef. Joel Salatin. 1996
- Pasture Perfect: The Far‐Reaching Benefits of Choosing Meat, Eggs, and Dairy Products from Grass-Fed Animals.
- Jo Robinson. 2004
- Raising the Homestead Hog. Jerome Belanger. 1977
- Natural Beekeeping. Ross Conrad. 2007
- Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis. Rowan Jacobsen. 2009
- The Forgotten Pollinators. Stephen Buckmann and Gary Nabhan. 1997
- The Flower Farmer. Lynn Byczynski. 1997