Registration Fundraising Route Food Ride Prep Lodging Volunteer FAQs Sponsors Bus the Barns
Getting Ready for the Ride!
How to Train for the Ride
Whether you’re an avid cyclist or Bike the Barns is your first big ride, here are some training ideas to help you reach your riding goals.
Join a Local Bike Club or Participate in an Ongoing Weekly Ride
Photo by: Caroline Marie Photography
Bombay Bicycle Club – Thursday-Sunday weekly rides with multiple difficulty levels in surrounding Madison area
We Are All Mechanics (WAAM) – Monday Evening Leisure Rides Around Monona Lake Loop (MAM)
Wednesday Night Bike Rides – Weekly, hilly rides through Dane County back-roads
Capitol Bike Club – Tuesday-Thursday rides for all levels, all leaving from Capital Brewing
Looking to train outside of Dane County? Bombay Bicycle Club has an awesome list of cycling clubs all over Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa! Get ready for Bike the Barns and meet new people along the way!
Bicycle Safety & Road Etiquette
Remember your bicycle etiquette on the road! Take this quiz to brush up on your road-cycling safety knowledge.
Ride a Past Bike the Barns Route
The Bike the Barns route changes every year, here are maps and cue sheets from past routes. (As a reminder, the farms on the routes are not open to the public.) These are all scenic, circular routes. Great practice!
- 2007 – The inaugural ride! West of Madison – Download PDF
- 2009 – SW of Madison, leaving from Elver Park – Download PDF
- 2010 – NE of Madison, leaving from Token Creek Park – Download PDF
- 2011 – East of Madison, leaving from Lake Ripley Park – Download PDF
- 2012 – West of Madison, leaving from Reddan Soccer Park in Verona – Download PDF
- 2013 – South of Madison, leaving from Lake Leota Park in Evansville – Radish Route PDF, Rutabaga Route PDF
- 2014 – NE of Madison, leaving from Fireman’s Park in Columbus – Radish Route PDF, Rutabaga Route PDF
- 2015 – SE of Madison, leaving from Rock River Park in Fort Atkinson – Download PDF
- 2016 – West of Madison, leaving from Badger Prairie County Park – Radish Route PDF, Rutabaga Route PDF
- 2017 – East Madison, leaving from Lake Farm County Park – Short Route, Medium Route, Long Route
- 2018 – Reedsburg, leaving from Nishan Park – Short Route, Long Route
Getting Your Bike Ready
Mechanics, SAG vehicles and on-bike support are available for riders at each stop during Bike the Barns.
Read Up on the Latest Cycling Advice from REI
Attend a Bike Repair Class
REI offers bike maintenance classes throughout the summer on fixing a flat, maintaining brakes, and more! Classes are open to REI members and non-members. Registration is required. Check out their summer schedule and become the pit crew you always wish you had!